Thursday, August 02, 2007

I Cried a Little...

The day I brought my daughter home from the hospital she weighed just a little over 5 lbs. When I went back to work and she went to daycare she was about the size of most normal newborns. We were in a daycare home program run by the hospital. We had an excellent caretaker, but after a couple weeks her own child became very ill and I had to move our baby. There wasn't another opening, so each day the hospital would call and give me an address to a home that had an opening for that day. It was a devastating experience. I dropped my child off at a complete stranger's home and prayed they would take good care of her. One worker was so large she couldn't get off the couch and sent her 9 year to come and take the baby carrier from me. As a single parent I felt I didn't have much choice. While crying on the way to work one day I realized I wanted to teach. I felt I was a person who understood what it was like to have a little piece of yourself passed into the hand's of others. I knew I could make a difference in the life of a child. I can tell you the exact spot on the highway where I was when I felt this calling in my heart. Maybe I thought through some kind of karma if I was a good teacher, my daughter would be treated kindly by her teachers and others in her life. I believe one of the first laws of working with children is to greet every child with a smile and a kind word. So, this morning when I dropped my 3 year old son off at preschool and his teacher sat behind the table and did not even make eye contact with him, let alone speak, but managed to stare at me while he clung to my leg crying desperately, I cried a little. I guess a good reminder before I go back to school next week that I need to make sure every child needs to feel special and welcome in my classroom.

7 comments:

Holly said...

Very inspirational and thought-provoking. Thanks for saying what you did. I, for one, will take it to heart!

Jennifer said...

You'll be a great teacher as long as you always treat your students the way you want your kids treated. I'm sorry it wasn't the best experience today. Hopefully she is just slow to warm up and the rest of the year will be great.

Renaud Family Blog said...

Great post...
And it just kills me that so many teachers have lost the passion that drove them to become a teacher in the first place. I have had many bad experiences with teachers as well, and it broke my heart for my oldest son who is in school, to have a teacher that didn't seem to care at all about her students, not one bit.

He's now in a montessori school, and has the same teacher for three years, and I think that seems to encourage more of a relationship between the students and teacher, because they have that time to build a relationship together. But trust me, I know that feeling that you are talking about.

Lydie said...

Oh, Creasa. I am so sorry this happened this morning. What a poor way to start the day. I hope Austin did ok the rest of the day!

TamiV said...

So sorry to hear this, I too believe that every child should be greeted with a smile. As a mother of two children with very different personalities, I know that some need it more than others. Frustrating to know that some choose this as their profession and can't see that. I trust you'll remember this experience on your first day as well as those that follow and be the best teacher ever! :) Hugs to you and your little one!

Tammy Tutterow said...

Oh, I think you made me cry a bit too. Thank you for being the kind of teacher we all wish our children had.

Danielle said...

Oh, this is a great story and reminder. I wish all teachers would read this before the first day of school. I think some of them forget what is really important..the children. Good luck with your teaching job!! You'll be fantastic!!